Old Eagle School is located less than two miles from Brick House 319. It’s considered one of the most interesting historical landmarks in Pennsylvania.
A German immigrant bought 150 acres in 1765 and set aside a lot for a church and school.
The stone school was built in 1788. It’s situated on a hillside in Strafford near the Strafford Train Station on the main line of the Pennsylvania Railroad.
Children paid 3 cents per day to attend school or $2 per quarter. They provided their own goose-quilled pens.
Ink was made with bruised nut gall or rusty nails in water.
A fireplace supplied heat and candles supplied light.
A rock wall is behind the schoolhouse with an entrance to a small burial ground with graves of many early settlers and Revolutionary soldiers.
The soldiers died during the Valley Forge encampment of 1777-1778.
The historic school is open on Sunday afternoons between Memorial Day and Labor Day.