Prepping the Backyard for the Addition & The Devon Train Station

The framer, Taylor, stopped by last week. We discussed the footing that he will dig for the new addition. If we had the permit, he would have dug the footing on Saturday. I know this is taking a very long time for the permit and I’m at my wits end about it. Soon…very soon….

Anyway, moving on, Taylor said that the shed will need to be pushed to the back of the yard. When he comes in with his machine and digs the footing, the mound of dirt will be placed just about where the shed is located. I wanted to move the shed anyway so it’s great that we can get it done now. Basically,  it’s in the way and also blocks the view of the backyard from the patio.

Behind the shed, John had stored the buckets he set aside for the construction project. (Buckets always come in handy for various jobs.) Even though I find them to be an eyesore, I know they have a purpose, and once the job is completed, John will keep about ten of them, and give the rest away. (I don’t like looking at a mound of plastic.)


So John moved the entire bucket collection and stacked them next to the pretty, rustic woodpile. The sun was setting so the wood looked especially pretty. How dichotomous to have wood and plastic side by side!


Behind the shed was finally free and clear of buckets and it was time to get the rake out. I constantly trip on the ivy-covered ground because my feet get snagged in the vines. Someone told us the best way to kill the ivy is by covering it with cardboard and top it off with dirt blocking all light. That will be the ivy’s demise. I think we’ll attack that project after the construction is complete, possibly September or October. It’s on the list.


John will empty the shed and Taylor will use his machine to push the shed back. John can also pull it with the hitch on the back of his truck. It will be interesting to see if the shed withstands the move. Bill had ordered the shed/kit through the mail and he told us that he assembled it all on his own. He stored his washer and dryer in it among many other hoarded things.


Neatly stacked…..


When exiting the Devon post office yesterday, I pulled on to the one-way lane leading smack toward the Devon Train Station. I stopped the car and got out to take a few photos.

A few facts: The Devon Station was built in 1890. It’s exactly 16.4 track miles to Philadelphia.  It was built by the Pennsylvania Railroad.



I love the scalloped shakes; some of the windows look original. If I wanted to, I could walk to the station from Brick House 319.


When we go into Philadelphia, we ALWAYS take the train because parking is impossible in the city. Here on the Main Line, each town has a train station—there’s a string of them. Look at the map below.


Devon is in the western section of the Main Line, where there’s more space and less congestion than the eastern section of the Main line, which is closer to Philadelphia. Devon might be less than 17 track miles from the city but I never have a feeling of the city being so close.


The entrance to the Devon Train Station was locked when I pulled on the door. The ticket booth is open between 5:15 am to 1:15 pm. I was there after closing. It looks like a mason is needed to address the granite to the left of the door.


I walked around to the tracks…


Looking east toward Philly. Yes, I say Philly; it rattles John’s ears.


What perfect timing, as I was exiting the train station, I looked up and the Septa train had arrived to pick up the two people I saw on the platform. I rolled down my passenger window, snapped the photo and proceeded under the tunnel (I believe it was built in 1914 but I have to double check) and headed back to Brick House 319.








Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *